Serial problems on DecStations?

Steve Watt steve at wattres.UUCP
Sat Feb 17 19:39:20 AEST 1990

In article <422 at wattres.UUCP> I wrote:
>I was trying to get a Ventel Pathfinder 18K up on a DecStation 3100 running

I have discovered why this doesn't work:  If you hang an oscilloscope off of
the serial port on the DECStation 3100, you see a voltage swing of -5v to +5v
!!!  I realize that this is "officially" allowed in RS232-C, (but not -D), but
the "usually accepted" value is somewhere around +-12v.  The VAXStation 3100,
incidentally, swings +-10v, which works OK.  My portable swings +-8v, which
also works.

Does anybody know if there is some way to coax more voltage swing out of these
things, or do I get to do some electronic design?  (Like buying from SGI?  :)

--
Steve Watt
...!claris!wattres!steve        wattres!steve at claris.com is reported to work.