Size of the X server process growing uncontrollably!

Blair P. Houghton bph at buengc.BU.EDU
Fri Feb 23 02:00:42 AEST 1990

In article <8518 at shlump.nac.dec.com> michaud at decvax.dec.com (Jeff Michaud) writes:
>I wrote:
>>   kill -KILL `ps -aux | grep Xq | grep -v grep | colrm 15 | colrm 1 9`
>
>	If you're on a DECstation, you don't want to use Xq, but probably just
>	X (Xmfb and Xcfb are the names of the servers for mono and color respectively
>	on the DECstation).
>
>	(I also prefer using awk '{print $1}' instead of the colrm's, but
>	that's just me :-)

Ac-shully, you might want to use:  awk '{print $2}'.

And, don't change the one-liner use ps -l.  It doesn't list
the X servers by name, at least not if they were started or
restarted by hand.

				--Blair
				   "Pedantry for the Pedestrian
					    Since 1888."