How are manual pages formatted?

krueger at tacvax.mdcbbs.com krueger at tacvax.mdcbbs.com
Thu Feb 8 20:46:06 AEST 1990

> In article <1990Jan31.205915.4709 at gumby.cc.wmich.edu> peirce at gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Leonard J. Peirce) writes:
> What sequence is used to format manual pages on ULTRIX?  Simply using
> nroff -man xxx doesn't seem to work properly.  I don't have sources so
> I can't look for myself but a strings on /usr/ucb/man shows some printf
> formats that look like man is using a sequence of tbl and col followed by
> nroff.

To see the method used to format the man pages on ULTRIX, look at the
output of the command:

			/etc/catman -p

This shows you exactly what is used by the OS to format the man pages.
The basic catman(1) command will do all the formatting for you so that
you get auto formatted results to man requests instead of waiting for
the OS to do the nroff sequences each time.
--
|  Ken Krueger               |    Voice: (714) 952-6151                    |