tar r stopped working...

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Wed Jan 10 14:41:02 AEST 1990

In article <1432 at uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin at primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:
> Hm, I don't seem to be able to "tar r" anymore after upgrading from 1.2
> to 3.1.  "Archive backspace error".  What gives?  The tar tape I'm trying
> to append to was written under 1.2; is there some special compatibility
> flag I need to specify, or is tar just broke?  (8200, TU81+).

There is a patch to the 3.1 MSCP tape driver that is supposed to fix a problem
with the 'ltf -x' command.  It is possible that it actually addresses a more
generic problem that may also showing up with tar and/or other utilities.

Check with the support center and see if you can tease the patch out of
them on a trial basis...

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net