SYSTEM logins weird

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Mon Jan 15 20:16:10 AEST 1990

In article <973 at njitgw.njit.edu> brw at hertz.njit.edu (Brian White) writes:
> In article <2877 at decuac.DEC.COM> avolio at decuac.dec.com writes:
> >
> >The problems Hurf is having sounds like file system problems to me...
> >But I am hard-pressed to blame it on software since very few systems
> >(I now know of two) have had these problems.
> >
> >Fred
>
> Uhhh, make that three, Fred. Our 11/785 (running 3.1) crashed and a
> *News article* showed up in place of gettytab. No login message, no baud rate
> set, and 8 lines of vi hipped me to the problem, but that sure was weird....

I guess a few well placed "sync" commands in the /etc/rc.local file should
cure this symptom, however it's real perverso that this file should not
get flushed and forgotten, especially of the system doesn't crash immediately.
After all, /etc/update should do the trick within 30 seconds.

I haven't seen this particular disease, but I have occasionaly found
completely trash files in my uucp queues (I know most uucp is trash, but
these are obviously not the right kind of trash for where they show up 8-).

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net