Managing a network of UNIX workstations

Ian! D. Allen [CGL] idallen at watcgl.waterloo.edu
Sun Jan 14 15:55:21 AEST 1990

We've had no success trying to do software development over NFS.  You
can run applications over NFS, since all they have to do is load over
the net once; but, the compile/edit/test cycle involves too many file
accesses.  A compile or "make" can reference dozens of files, and the
network overhead getting at each file was too much.  We gave it up and
don't use NFS for much more than moving things from far away to local
disk where we can work on it.
-IAN! (Ian! D. Allen) idallen at watcgl.uwaterloo.ca idallen at watcgl.waterloo.edu
 [129.97.128.64]  Computer Graphics Lab/University of Waterloo/Ontario/Canada