5810 installation report

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Mon Jan 1 18:49:52 AEST 1990

In article <9172 at cbmvax.commodore.com> grr at cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
> Well, the my 5810 is now "installed" and seems to work.
>
> A couple of problems/notes...
>
> 0) there's no real good overall "start-here-with-this-tape" map...
> 1) If you let the system self-configure...
> 2) The software package includes distribution tapes for bot...
> 3) NONE of the traditional "unsupported" software is shipped...
> 4) I ordered DECnet/Ultrix and DECserver 200, however...
> 5) The Ultrix Workstation Stuff, which I haven't braved yet...

Well, it's a couple days later (what holidays?)

6) While there isn't an obvious "Unsupported" tape with the main Ultrix
   stuff, the "UWS 2.0 UNSUPPORTED" tape appears to be the same file sets
   as it would be, so just stick it in and do a setld -i.

7) There doesn't seem to be a coyp of the "Ultrix Worksystem 2.1 release
   notes included, just the combined Ultrix 3.0/UWS 2.0 notes and a
   Xeroxed Ultrix 3.1C release notes.  If you happen to have received the
   3.1 Upgrade (VAX or RISC) earlier you got a copy with that.

8) None of the UWS "user oriented" manuals are included, only the the
   three thin guides to setting up diskless/RIS/workstation stuff.  If
   you want to install the UWS "development environment" and stuff so
   the 5800 can act as a "compute server" you end up feeling pretty
   insecure with no manuals.  Turns out you setld the "Supported WS"
   tape and then the "Ultrix 3.1/UWS 2.1 Upgrade" tapes.

9) Once you've loaded the above tapes (on top of the base 3.1C install)
   you find you don't have any "X" manual pages.  You either have to
   force setld to load the man pages from the VAX tapes or force it to
   reload the UDTMAN030 and UDTMAN031 loads from the "UWS 2.0 supported
   base" and "Ultrix 3.1/UWS 2.1 Upgrade" tapes, since the UWS man pages
   aren't a seperate load on the RISC UWS tapes.

At this point I've finally got a base system and get to start converting
over all the local utilities and stuff.  I'm planning on installing the
latest BSD UUCP, sendmail and bind instead of using the Ultrix stuff and
might even upgrade from News 2.10.3beta 8-).

I've only seen two real problems so far.  First I apparently mangaged to
have the system while creating a hard link to a tape device.  Don't know
if this is real or repeatable.  No other crashes or hangs...

Second, I've got a couple of DMB32's, but when I activated logins on a
couple of lines (with no cables attached yet) a later caught them running
up a bunch of CPU time.  This isn't funny, but I haven't had a chance to
try various thing and see what the system thinks it's doing.

Anybody had problems with DMB32's on VAX Ultrix?

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net