SYSTEM logins weird

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Fri Jan 12 22:24:13 AEST 1990

In article <4614 at helios.ee.lbl.gov> envbvs at epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) writes:
> In article <9533 at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>,
> hurf at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Hurf Sheldon) writes:
> <
> < 	I found that /etc/gettytab had been
> < 	rewritten with the top 3690 bytes of /etc/passwd - this
> < 	is the second time under Ultrix3.1 on 2 different systems
> < 	this has happened - ?????
>
> We had the same problem in Ultrix 3.0.
> At first I thought I had rcp'd the file on top of itself which is guaranteed
> to clobber the file in a similar way, but then I realized that
> I hadn't changed /etc/gettytab (ever), so I hadn't run rcp at all on it.
>
> Any ideas?

Remember that the startup script edits the /etc/gettytab and /etc/ttys
files to update the system name.  I suspect this kind of thing might be
happening if your system croaks without haveing written out the new version.
On the other hand, unless it died withing a few moments after startup, it
*should* have written the stuff from the buffer pool...

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net