Reading Ultrix setld distribution tapes on VMS

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Thu Jan 18 12:39:20 AEST 1990

In article <91 at ucunix.SAN.UC.EDU> rainwatr at ucunix.san.uc.edu (Don Rainwater) writes:

> 	To be useful on Ultrix, the distribution kits have to be
> readable by the 'setld' utility.  Is there some utility for VMS that can
> be used to read a setld tape (TK50) and create another setld tape
> (either TK50 or "regular" magtape)?  Alternatively, can the setld TK50's
> be copied onto the VMS 6350 and then DECnet-copied or FTPed to the
> Ultrix system (for installation or creation of a setld magtape)?

The setld tapes can be treated as unlabeled, multiple-file tapes with
a recordsize of 512 and a blocksize of 10240.  I'm not real hot on
VMS utilities, but it shouldn't be too hard to cook up a command
file or something to to read files until you hit end of tape (0 length file).
You can either do tape to tape, or use n temporary files.

You can transfer the data with FTP (or probably DECnet stuff) as long
as binary data integreity is maintained.

I don't know the format/organization of the setld stuff as CD or disk
files, but I have used the tape mode stuff to go from tk50 to 9-track...

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net