SYSTEM logins weird

Hurf Sheldon hurf at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
Fri Jan 12 03:05:03 AEST 1990

uVaxII, Ultrix3.1

	We just had to shutdown and reboot a system to switch some disks.
We had to halt the thing during one of the reboots. Ran fsck on /dev/ra0a after booting up single user - it made some minor repairs on one inode.
After that the
logins to the hardware ttys aren't there even though the gettys are running.
Additionally the login prompt nolonger displays the hostname: just 'login'

The network ports and the console and X term logins all work but the dhv ports
have gone south. I checked /etc/ttys /dev,  - can't see any thing wrong -
a 'cat /etc/ttys >/dev/tty08' gets nothing out tty08...
Our dhv is a dilog 1620 16 port board.

Uerf doesn't report any errors...

I put a new kernal on and rebooted - no fix.

suggestions?
hurf

     Hurf Sheldon			 Network: hurf at ionvax.tn.cornell.edu
     Lab of Plasma Studies		  Bitnet: hurf at CRNLION
     369 Upson Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y. 14853  ph:607 255 7267
     "And the walls came tumbling down"