How to clear zombie children while parent still alive.

Eli Taub/100000 eli at panda.uucp
Wed Mar 28 08:13:43 AEST 1990

> Is that possible to clear all zombie children while the parent
> is still in execution under SunOS? I had the parent process to call
> signal(SIGCHLD, SIG_IGN). This should let init to clear the
> terminated child automaitically, when the parent got a SIGCHLD.

Under System V signal(SIGCLD, SIG_IGN) tells the kernel not to create
Zombies. This is special because the default for SIGCLD (or SIGCHLD) is
to ignore the signal.

> But SunOS still kept all the zombies until the parent exited.
> Is SunOS different from other Unix systems in this regard?
> Is it possible to clear zombies in a SunOS environment? And how?

In SUN and other BSDs you Must catch the signal and issue a wait
so that the Zombie is cleared up.

Eli Taub
Contractor at IBM (till Sep. `90)
(512) 838-4810