Paging problem on Decstaion 3100

Alan Nakamoto nakamoto at joplin.mpr.ca
Thu Mar 29 05:55:11 AEST 1990

I am currently trying a Beta version of some software for the Decstation
3100. On the instructions, it tells about a problem in the paging
algorithm in Ultrix which causes virtual memory accesses that will put
the machine into some kind of paging loop. When I tried the software,
some of the things that I tried which would require virtual memory
access did cause this problem.

Looking at the monitor program revealed many page ins but few page outs.
The disk was spinning away with little (0.4%) CPU activity being
recorded on the DECstation.

My question is, has anybody experienced this problem, heard of it, or
heard of a solution. I vaguely recall that there was some discussion of
a similar problem in comp.sys.dec or comp.unix.ultrix but don't recall
what became of it. If someone has a record of this discussion or any
other info, it would be greatly appreciated if they could e-mail me.

Thanks,

Alan Nakamoto
Pacific Microelectronics Centre
Burnaby BC. (604)-293-6052.  ...!uunet!ubc-cs!mpre!nakamoto