Address rewriting in mail11v3/mail11v3d ?

Jens Trier Rasmussen jenst at cernvax.UUCP
Sat Mar 17 02:42:57 AEST 1990

I have a small problem with the rewriting of From addresses in mail11v3
or in mail11dv3.

The problem occurs when I use mail11v3 on a Ultrix RISC 3.1 to talk to
mail11dv3 on Ultrix RISC 3.0. Somewhere along the route (in either of
these two programs) the sending node's name (the node where the mail11dv3
runs) is prefixed to the From address, e.g. node::u at h.domain. This makes
it impossible directly to reply to the message.

The node prefixing is indeed needed when mail11v3 talks to a VMS host,
but there the From address should be node::"u at h.domain". This works
okay.

Mail11v3 and/or mail11dv3 have the knowledge to distinguish between VMS
and Ultrix host, since they exchange OS information on connecting.

Can any knowledgeable person (Jeff -:) enlight me on this problem ?

Facts:

I'm calling the mail11v3 program from sendmail with the sender address in
VMSmail syntax, e.g. host::user.

I have tried using the undocumented command mail11dv3.AcceptNodePrefixed:
off, but it doesn't seems to help.

Cheers and have a nice weekend

   Jens Trier Rasmussen
   CERN-CN/CS