Mail11v3's use of DECnet information ?

Jeff Michaud michaud at decvax.dec.com
Wed Mar 7 05:31:36 AEST 1990

> How can the remote node acknowledge the connect request when it doesn't
> run DECnet at all and hasn't been doing it for 10 minutes or so ?
> (This happens both when the remote node is a VAX/VMS and a Ultrix RISC
> system).

	I may of mixed up the definition of that errno with the
	case where we don't get any response at all from the remote
	node after having sent out the connect request several times.
	Normally what happens when there are routers around, if the
	remote node is unreachable, and we send the routing packet
	out marked with "return to sender" (which we do on the connect
	request packet), then the router for the remote node will send
	the packet back and we know the remote node is unreachable.
	However there is a period of time between which a node goes
	down and the router for that node knows that the node has
	gone down.  This depends on the frequency of the hello
	messages the node sends to the router.

	It's still non-fatal and has to be expected of nodes that
	are in a state of transition.

|Jeff Michaud    michaud at decwrl.dec.com  michaud at decvax.dec.com|
|DECnet-ULTRIX   #include <standard/disclaimer.h>              |