Multivolume dumps via dump | compress | dd

Jeff Hayward jeff at nic.the.net
Thu Mar 1 03:14:25 AEST 1990

I'm trying to save some space and time by compressing my dumps before writing
them to tk50 on my DS3100 running UWS 2.1.  I use

	dump 0ucf - /usr | compress | dd of=/dev/rmt0h obs=60k

to write a dump, which seems to work fine. dd prompts me to replace cartridges
when appropriate, and dump seems happy.

A restore of the form

	dd if=/dev/rmt0h ibs=60k | uncompress | restore if -

works, until the end of the first tape is reached.  I then get "read: i/o
error" from restore (I think).  dd just tells me its usual records in/out
count. I've tried using the files=n argument to dd, to no avail.  Can anyone
shed light on what I'm doing wrong?

Jeff Hayward
The University of Texas System		jah at mojo.ots.utexas.edu
Office of Telecommunication Services	+1 512 471 2427