Mail11v3's use of DECnet information ?

Jens Trier Rasmussen jenst at cernvax.cern.ch
Tue Mar 6 00:53:22 AEST 1990

I have a small problem with mail11v3, its use of DECnet information and
its status messages to sendmail.

When mail11v3 tries to send a VMSmail message to a DECnet-VAX node, where
DECnet has been shut down it gives, after some time, the message the status:

(Deferred: Remote MAIL object at node not responding)

When I use the command ncp show node node the only visible information is
that the number under the delay heading increases like this:

Node Volatile Summary as of Mon Mar  5 15:40:05 MET 1990

     Node         State      Active  Delay   Circuit     Next Node
                             Links

     node                      0      26                  arouter

Then I maded a small program which uses the dnet_conn routine to setup
the link to the node. This program exits immediatly with the message :

 Connect failed, Node unreachable

After that the ncp command gave the information as above, except that the
delay had decreased !

When I tried to use mail11v3 again to mail to the node it also existed
immediately and the message got the status:

(Deferred: Remote node node unreachable)

Any clues ??  I'm using DECnet-Ultrix 3.0 on a RISC machine and Ultrix
Workstation Software 2.1.

cheers
    Jens Trier Rasmussen
    CERN-CN/CS