qe: Non existant memory interrupt

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Sat Mar 24 17:49:49 AEST 1990

In article <1642 at jimi.cs.unlv.edu> greg at unlv.edu (Greg Wohletz) writes:
> We have several microvax II's that we are using as fileservers.  The are
> running ultrix 3.1.  Periodically (about once every 24 hours) they crash
> with ``qe: Non existant memory interrupt''.  A peek at if_qe.c reveales the
> following comment...
>
> So it would appear that this is an error condition from the controller
> itself.  Has anyone seen this before?  Is there a fix?  What is a
> non-existent memory interrupt?

Well, the first comment is certainly bogus, since (illegally) long packets
on your ethernet will cause a panic due to "chained packets".  I wouldn't
be too surpries if there is some network disease that could cause the second.

What is the history of this problem?  Is it new with 3.1 or are the machines
new or is there some new system/software elsewhere on your network that has
triggered these panics?

Which board is actually involved?  If all else fails and they're DEQNA's you
might try upgrading to a newer board - see the VMS related DEQNA discussion
recently in comp.sys.dec.  A while back I had a DEQNA problem that turned out
to be a problem with jumpers on the *memory* card, but that was in an PDP11
Q-bus environment...

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com