dumping active file systems

Roland Schemers III schemers at vela.acs.oakland.edu
Sat Mar 17 12:37:23 AEST 1990

Hello! I have a question about using 'dump'. How dangerious is it to
dump an active file system? That is, dumping a file system that is
mounted, and while the system is in multi-user mode? I have gotten
various replies from DEC, ranging from "It might corrupt the whole dump",
or "Only the active files will be messed up".

For a monthly or weekly dump I see no problem with bringing the system
down to single user, but every day to do incrementals seems a bit
drastic.

Roland

ps. we are currently using opser, and doing daily (level 9), weekly (level 5),
    and monthly (level 0) dumps, bringing the system down to single user mode.

--
Roland J. Schemers III                              Systems Programmer
schemers at vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ultrix)              Oakland University