Problem with mkfs ignoring nbpi parameter

John P. Eisenmenger jpe at romeo.cs.duke.edu
Wed Mar 14 01:32:22 AEST 1990

Summary
	O/S:		Ultrix 3.1
	Problem:	mkfs bug (nbpi)

Detail
	Today I was trying to create a file system with a large number
	of inodes.  This proved impossible because mkfs seemed to ignore
	the nbpi parameter.  I used "newfs -v" which reported that it
	passed nbpi to mkfs as 1024, but mkfs reported that it created
	a file system with the default inode density.  I confirmed this
	by comparing the new file system with one created using the
	default parameters.

	Has anyone else seen this bug?  Is there any way to get around
	it?  Has it been reported to DEC?

Contact
	John P. Eisenmenger			jpe at duke.cs.duke.edu
	Duke University