Redoing Second RZ55 on 3100

Michael Meissner meissner at osf.org
Sat Mar 17 07:04:14 AEST 1990

In article <23119 at pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> mao at eden (Mike Olson) writes:

| In article <10114 at cbmvax.commodore.com>, grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
| (George Robbins) writes:
| > In article <2054 at ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> jls2 at ursa-major.spdcc.COM
| (Jeff Stoner) writes:
| >> I have two RZ55's on a DECstation 3100. While mucking around with
| >> the system commands, I noticed that my two drives have the same
| >> configuration ...
| >> newfs -v -n /dev/rrz3b rz55
| > You should give some thought to whether or not you want to have a secondary
| > swap area.
|
| you may also want to reserve this as swap space, so that you can boot off
| the second drive if the first dies.  this would be uncomfortable if there
| were a file system on the b partition.

One thing I did once when mananging a UNIX system was to put /tmp on
the secondary filesystem where swap went on the first disk and just do
mkfs before mounting it.  That way you don't waste disk space (if disk
space is tight), but you can still boot off of a secondary disk if
problems come up.
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner at osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861
Open Software Foundation, 11 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA

Catproof is an oxymoron, Childproof is nearly so