{ftp,telnet}d{,.gw}

a.e.mossberg aem at mthvax.cs.miami.edu
Fri Mar 9 04:40:19 AEST 1990

In <1847 at uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin at primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:
>What are /usr/etc/ftpd.gw and /usr/etc/telnetd.gw, and how do they
>differ from ftpd and telnetd?

They support DECnet gatewaying. I.e. you can do things like:

% telnet name.of.host.running.telnet.gw

Connected to name.of.host.running.telnet.gw

name login: YARBLE::		(YARBLE being a host that runs only decnet)

Screwy Department Vax 8530 VMS 5.0

Username:

or:

% ftp name.of.host.running.ftpd.gw

220 FTP version etc line however it looks
ftp> user YARBLE::username	(yarble still a decnet-only host)
331 Password required for gateway access YARBLE (or somesuch message)
Password:

and so on.

aem

--
a.e.mossberg / aem at mthvax.cs.miami.edu / aem at umiami.BITNET / Pahayokee Bioregion
Where is the temple of God? In our heart.