How to change dlogind "Welcome to...."

Michael Murphy mm06 at gte.com
Sun Mar 11 12:05:27 AEST 1990

I would guess that if you wanted to change the "Welcome to ..." part of
the banner, you'd have to adb the binary:

bunny.gte.com $ strings -o /usr/etc/dlogind | grep -i welcome
  54685 Welcome to Ultrix-32 (%s)

Although in most cases it seems to gouge the herald out from
/etc/gettytab; I'm not sure in when it uses the other form.

I suppose someone should file an SPR, as the security guys think that
it's a bad idea to announce exactly what kind of thing you are to
crackers.  The DDN is removing the "Welcome ..." herald from TACs, I
gather.  It is important to note that except for this one detail, the
TAC was perfect.  Now, with that tiny concession to civility removed,
the TAC *is* perfect.
--
mike murphy  mm06 at gte.com {harvard,vaxine}!bunny!mm06
gte labs, waltham, ma