mail/BIND/svcorder/MX annoying problem

Frederick M. Avolio avolio at decuac.dec.com
Sat May 26 15:03:22 AEST 1990

In article <631 at helens.Stanford.EDU> lynch at spiff.stanford.edu () writes:

>I can't believe we're the only ones with this problem.  We're running
>3.1/2.2 on DECstations, and when using BIND, binmail really blows using MX
>records for mail which should be forwarded through some remotely local site
>(did I say that?).  Here's the good part though: it works fine if bind is
>the FIRST thing in the /etc/svcorder file!

I had reported this bug a while ago.  I am told by a few customers of mine
who tested this on FT 4.0 that it is fixed, so ULTRIX 4.0 should fix this.

It was do to a programming logic error when trying to handle the service
order (which I think is a great feature).  We had local then bind listed
and where not able to send mail to hosts hat had no address record but did
have an MX record.  Bascically, what you described we saw and I am told
it is fixed.

Fred