Hesoid & YP

Fletcher Kittredge fkittred at bbn.com
Wed May 30 23:12:43 AEST 1990

In article <21651 at boulder.Colorado.EDU> grunwald at foobar.colorado.edu writes:

>Reading the 4.0 blurbs, I see that Ultrix is going to use the Hesiod
>name server & kerebos auth. packages.
>
>I'm using one of 3 or 4 DS3100's in a dept. of Suns. Will I still be
>able to e.g., import YP passwd files & the like, or will I need to do
>something fancier?

Since I happen to have the manual open to this page, a quotation from the
Ultrix 4.0 documentation implies that you can run Hesiod, YP or both!

"The Ultrix software allows you to convert from a YP distributed environment
to a BIND/Hesiod distributed environment, or to run both services in the same
environment." [ Introduction to Networking and Distributed Services, p. 2-1]

It appears there is a file called /etc/svc.conf.  In that file you
specify for each database a search list of services to try for querying
for information.  For example for passwd information, you can specify that
the local /etc/passwd file is queried first, then Hesiod and then YP.

regards,
fletcher

Fletcher E. Kittredge  fkittred at bbn.com
Platforms and Tools Group