How to configure additional swap space?

Steve Schoch schoch at trident.arc.nasa.gov
Wed May 30 03:41:35 AEST 1990

In article <2068 at wheaton.UUCP> stefan at wheaton.UUCP (Stefan Brandle ) writes:
>  I had the same message
>when playing around with additional swap space.
>  My guess is that something in the
>kernel already has your swap devices open in an exclusive mode and any further
>references give the somewhat misleading message about `no such device' when it
>might be better to spit out `device locked' or something like that.

I believe what happens is unlike some other versions of BSD Unix, when
you configure more than one swap devices in the conf file, the Ultrix
kernel turns on swap on those devices when the kernel boots, and doesn't
wait for swapon.

What leads me to this conclusion is we had an 3.0 kernel compiled on
a system with two disks and we swapped on both of them.  When we copied
the same system with only one disk, the kernel complained something about
"can't open device (9,1), retrying...." and I guess it timed out after
a while.  This was before it started /etc/init.

	Steve