Need help with DEC WINDOWS on DEC 3100 stations

Michael Gengenbach gengenba at forwiss.uni-passau.de
Sat May 5 07:26:32 AEST 1990

In article <1990May3.125502.14015 at ecn.purdue.edu> jmoore at cimlab.ecn.purdue.edu (James D Moore) writes:
>The problem is that whenever a person tries to log into the
>client stations the DecWindows accepts the login and the password
>and then seems to time out and return the login prompt.

I had the same problem after the installation of our DECstations.

>After several tries (random number but usaly more than 5-6 tries)
>it eventualy will allow a person to log into the system. From

I didn't try to log in more than a few times, so I don't know, if
this would work. But I figured out, that the problem was with
/etc/svcorder. The first service (YP or BIND, I can't remember)
wasn't running correctly. When I put 'local' in front of /etc/svcorder,
everything worked allright.

I hope this helps.

Michael
Michael Gengenbach   \/\/\/\/\/  gengenbach at forwiss.uni-passau.de
FORWISS               \/\/\/\/
University of Passau  /\/\/\/\   Phone: +49 851/509-496
West Germany         /\/\/\/\/\  Fax  : +49 851/509-497