Problems with su/csh on Ultrix 4.0/DECstation 5000

Gary Weimer weimer at ssd.kodak.com
Wed Nov 28 01:10:02 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov27.005226.18032 at sarah.albany.edu> boehme at unvax.union.edu (Eric M. Boehm) writes:

>I have run into a problem out of the blue. Suddenly, our DECstation 500
>won't let me use su to switch to another user. I get the following error
>message:
>
>getwd: can't open .. -- can't start new shell
>
>This happened suddenly. Also, after rebooting the machine, su may work
>once or twice and then give the error message. This also screws up
>commands I have in crontab -- they do not get run. Lately, even commands
>running as root in crontab weren't being run. I even went so far as to
>redo the Ultrix installation. That did not help.

Try changing to a different directory. The error message is telling you that
previous directory (..). For some reason, su needs to access every directory
in your current path to be able to access the /etc/passwd file (added
security?). Changing directories, or adding permission to directories in
your path should fix the problem.

Gary Weimer