To strip, or not to strip...

Marcus J. Ranum mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com
Thu Nov 22 13:25:08 AEST 1990

sritacco at hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Steve Ritacco) writes:
>I've often asked myself these same questions, and this has brought to mind
>one other.  When will Ultrix have shared libraries?  The most trivial
>widget based application is bigger than a mega-byte.

	[I'm not referring specifically to ULTRIX, here - or any
specific vendor's product. So don't go quoting me out of context :) ]

	The thing *I've* never been able to understand is why people
use such a bloated massive window system in the first place. X-window
and its toolkits has been responsible for making more machines "obsolete"
than any other cause, except possibly "operating system enhancements". :)

	Sure, shared libraries will help make X-windows useable - but
what's puzzled me is how people got the idea such a huge monster was
useable in the first place.

	Most of my non-windows-based programs seem to be around 60K
in size, unless I make a gethostbyname() library call, in which case
it zooms up to around 100K [see "operating system enhancements" above].

mjr.   [an "if it ain't V7, it ain't sh**" kind of guy]
--
"When choosing between two evils, give preference to the council of your
tummy over that of your testes. The history of mankind is full of disasters