Making the DS3100 floppy do stuff

Jim Flanagan flanagan at lisbon.stat.washington.edu
Thu Nov 29 05:31:02 AEST 1990

  I recently got a DS3100 with a RX23 floppy drive. I have some questions
  on how to make it go.

  I don't have my Ultrix 4.0 Docs yet (fun! Ultrix is wierd.). I do have
  dome documentation called "Ultrix Software Update Installation Kit for
  the DECstation 2100/3100 with an RX23 drive" which contains the
  instruction :

	"... To support the RX23 floppy drive, your system must be
	running ULTRIX operating system Version 3.1 or ULTRIX Worksystem
	Software Version 2.1 prior to installing this update.

	"... If the operating system is ULTRIX Worksystem Version 2.2 or
  	higher, do not use this update."

  Is ULTRIX Worksystem different from the ULTRIX operarting system? Anyways
  the kernel doesn't seem to recognize the device.

  Second question: Once the drive is up and running, is there any utility
  to format and write DOS floppies (without SoftPC or something like that)?

  Third question: Rebuilding the kernel by hand was FUN! Why did DEC take
  this away from us? (If you try to do it by hand under 4.0, it rarely works)

---
Jim Flanagan, Sys. Programmer = flanagan at stat.washington.edu
Dept. of Statistics	      =          stat.washington.edu
University of Washington      =               washington.edu