Update on Sendmail problems

elsen at esat.kuleuven.ac.be elsen at esat.kuleuven.ac.be
Sun Nov 11 04:55:06 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov7.140131.2909 at hollie.rdg.dec.com>, jch at dyfed.rdg.dec.com (John Haxby) writes:

> In article <1990Nov2.145406.1449 at hollie.rdg.dec.com>, jch at dyfed.rdg.dec.com (John Haxby) writes:
> |>
> |> The ULTRIX V4.0 sendmail includes a fix for a rather interesting
> |> security hole that, among other things, involves changing the
> |> definition of the local mailer.  This is important.  If you don't
> |> make the change, then all mail appears to come from daemon, which
> |> is what you are seeing.  I don't believe that the sun version of
> |> sendmail that you are running includes the fix so it isn't
> |> surprising that the config file works for the sun machine but
> |> not for the dec machine.
>
> This is a the solution to a problem that isn't the topic of
> discussion, sorry.

  Excuse me gentlemen but let's return to a more basis issue here :

  Does this mean that it is advisable NOT to take one's SENDMAIL
  source from Ultrix V3.n when upgrading to V4.0 ?

  Should one instead take DEC's skeleton sendmail.cf file from
  V4 distribution and reinsert 'site specific' rewrite rules ?

  What's the comment of the net on this , did you follow this path ?
  Is it documented somewhere that that's the way to go ?

--

  Marc Elsen (System Manager/Software Engineer)
  Katholieke Universiteit Leuven

               EMAIL : elsen at esat.kuleuven.ac.be