fwrite() under Ultrix 4.0 on DECStation 5000..

Valerie Caro valerie at .cs.umass.edu
Fri Nov 2 07:27:31 AEST 1990

I have written a program that converts a data file in one format to another
format.  The source file is a KBVISION Tokenset file and the output format is an
ISR2 frame file.  (If these terms don't mean anything, that is ok - they are two
different, but conceptual simular DB files used in computer vision research.)
My program uses a supplied library to read in the KBVISION file and uses
fwrite() to write out the output file.

The program works fine on a Sun4 runninf SunOS 4.1.

The problem is on the DECStation.  We have three DECStation 5000/200s running
Ultrix 4.0.  Each machine has a local disk and the disks are cross mounted with
NFS.  We also have a 12 member VAXCluster (mostly VAXStation 2000s, with 2 MVIIs
and a VAXStation 3100).  Some of the VAXes run UCX and all of the VMS user disks
are NFS exported and mounted on the DECStations.  When I run the program on one
of the DECStations with the output file on a NFS mounted VMS disk, the program
works correctly and produces a corectly sized output file, which can be
successfully read in by the ISR2 system.  When I set the output to a local disk,
I get a file that is slightly shorter and at least the beginning of the file is
crupted.  When I set the output to a NFS mounted disk on one of the other
DECStations, the file is even shorter and is also crupted.   I am pretty sure it
is not my program, since it works perfectly on the Sun4 and on the DECStation
when the output file is in a NFS mounted VMS file system.  I am not much of a
UNIX user (been using VMS for some time now and only started using UNIX
recently) and don't have the slightest idea where to look.

		Robert Heller
ARPANet:	Heller at CS.UMass.EDU
BITNET:		Heller at UMass.BITNET
BIX:		locks.hill.bbs
GEnie:		RHeller
FidoNet:	1:321/153 (Locks Hill BBS, Wendell, MA)
CompuServe	71450,3432
Local PV VAXen:	COINS::HELLER
UCC Cyber/DG:	Heller at CS