Where have all my colors gone?

Brad Chisholm sasblc at unx.sas.com
Thu Nov 15 03:05:20 AEST 1990

I recently moved from an HP9000/300 workstation to a DECstation 3100 running
UWS2.2.  Running mwm on the HP, the window manager would allocate a modest number of colors for its uses (~15).  On the DEC, however, running mwm results in 141 colors allocated, and running dxwm results in 128 colors allocated.  This seriously limits my ability to run applications that use shared colormaps.

Any ideas about how I can reclaim these entries, or about what might be allocating them in the first place?  It doesn't seem likely that the window manager's entirely to blame...

Thanks,  Brad