DECNet-Ultrix 4.0 installation

Ted Lemon mellon at fenris.pa.dec.com
Fri Nov 30 16:37:50 AEST 1990

f 29 Nov 90 21:06:00 GMT

Ouch.   What it needs is /usr/lib/dnet.   The following crock might work:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The following is probably a disgusting kludge, is definitely not
supported by DEC, and will probably cause both your machines to emit
sparks, melt their disks into useless sludge, and cause portions of
your network cabling to evaporate in protest.

It's also possible that I've forgotten something - I try to avoid
hacking on DECnet whenever possible.  If you choose to try the
instructions below, you're solely responsible for whatever cleanup
needs doing when the whole thing blows up in your face.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

	(1) Bring both machines down to single user mode.
	(2) Make a /dnet on both root partitions (the RZ23 and the
		DS5000's root).   Copy all the files in /usr/lib/dnet
		to both directories.
	(3) On the 3100, with /usr not mounted, create the directory /usr/lib.
	(4) Symbolically link /dnet to /usr/lib/dnet.
	(5) On the 5000, remove /usr/lib/dnet, and symlink /dnet to
		/usr/lib/dnet.
	(6) Reboot the 3100 into single user mode; mount /usr.
	(7) Change the 3100's DECnet address, node name and identification.
		ncp define executor address new.address
		ncp define executor node newnod
		ncp define executor identification "Hacked-off 3100"
	(8) Reboot the 3100.   ncp should be run before ifconfig, as
		you have already divined.

The problem with setting things up as you've done is that the node
name and address of the machine is stored in a file in /usr/lib/dnet.
Since you were mounting /usr on both the 5000 and the 3100, once you
ran ncp, both machines had the same ethernet address.   I think you
can imagine the implications of this.

Anyway, good luck!

			       _MelloN_