Something similar to netstat ... but quicker.

Blair MacIntyre bmacinre at watcgl.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Nov 21 01:34:39 AEST 1990

Wietse> bmacinre at watcgl.uwaterloo.ca (Blair MacIntyre) writes:

>What I really want is to figure out if someone is currently doing a
>remote finger on my machine AND where they are fingering from.

Wietse> If you have sufficient privilege, you can put a trivial program in
Wietse> front of the fingerd (tar archive in ftp.win.tue.nl:/pub/logdaemon.Z,
Wietse> file tcpd.c). This program uses the syslog(3) facility to report the
Wietse> use of connection-oriented services such as telnet, rlogin, rsh, exec.

Oh, I'm not interested in keeping a log.  This request falls under the
'cute-but-pointless' things to do section.  You see, every time someone
fingers me, a program runs and creates an up-to-date .plan file.  I'd
like to know where the finger is coming from in order to further
embellish the info.  Ideally, I'd like to know who is reading the .plan,
so I could figure out who is fingering me locally, or decide that it's
remote and then use figure which finger connection they are coming
through.  I don't think it's possible ...

Turns out 'netstat -n' is fast enough, and actually better for this
purpose than 'netstat' alone.  Thanks to the people who set me mail
suggesting this!
--
Blair MacIntyre, Computer Graphics Lab
Dept. of Computer Science, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, Canada, N2L3G1