getting bind to work in Ultrix 4.0

Brian Ellis ellis at rata.vuw.ac.nz
Mon Nov 12 10:12:58 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov10.215525.11745 at ircam.ircam.fr>, mf at ircam.ircam.fr
(Michel Fingerhut) writes:
|> BIND info *is* in /var/dss/namedb/named.boot.
|>
|> 1.  Did you set the /etc/resolv.conf file to contain the info it needs?
|>     (at least a domain name entry, and one "nameserver 127.0.0.1" entry)
|>
|> 2.  Did you correctly fill the /etc/svc.conf file?
|>
|> We have named running.  Once in a week or so it goes into an infinite loop
|> and grows the syslog file to fill its file system, but it otherwise works
|> like a charm (well, all other things being equal).

Hmm, One suggestion from the net worked. The solution to my problems was to
add an entry for *all* the machines that rata (the machine in question) is
a secondary name server for to /etc/hosts. I had to change nothing else.

What really brassed me off about this matter is the named in the 4.0
distribution appears to be bind 4.8.1 or later, and bind 4.8.1 *doesn't*
require the entries in /etc/hosts that the DEC supplied bind does!
If named is not the same as 4.8.1, then thats fine - but it sure looks like
4.8.1 Adding value and functionality is fine - breaking it is not!

Brian.

Brian Ellis                               Computing Services Centre
Domain: ellis at rata.vuw.ac.nz              Victoria University of Wellington
Bang paths... grrrr!!!!!		  P.O Box 600, New Zealand.
What! - no cute .sig ???