DecServer 200/300 puts us into PASSALL mode sometimes

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Fri Nov 9 04:33:58 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov8.070438.6592 at watcgl.waterloo.edu> idallen at watcgl.waterloo.edu (Ian! D. Allen [CGL]) writes:
> >We have a number of DecServer 200's and 300's used to connect to
> >a number of Vax/VMS, DecStation and Unix machines.  We use the
> >Ultrix LAT/Telnet gateway service to connect to Unix machines:
> >	"CONNECT TELNET NODE FRED DESTINATION SPOT"
> >For some unknown reason this puts us into passall mode more or
> >less at random.  Any ideas on why this happens?
>
> Any program on recent Ultrix that does "stty raw" sets the port to PASSALL.
> This includes the getty running at login time that reads your userid.
>
> I asked on Oct 24 in comp.unix.ultrix how to turn it off; nobody knows.

In 99 out of 100 cases this is the correct behavior - to support unix
"raw" mode semantics, the server must **temporarily** enter passall
mode.  Since servers are not hard-wired terminal, there may be a few
cases where this doesn't give the intended result, but you break a
lot more stuff by not having it be the **default** behavior.

Please consider carefully before bitching about this, it's been broken
before (some 3.x releases) and took a long time to get it right again.

If the login behavior causes you distress, then what you really want
is /etc/ttys control of raw vs cbreak vs cooked mode for the prompt,
not LAT changes.

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com