Process Table Corrupt?

Shawn Mamros mamros at energy.irc.cbm.dec.com
Fri Nov 9 05:29:59 AEST 1990

The way ps works, it has to open /dev/kmem and read the proc structs
in kernel memory.  However, it's not an atomic operation.  If you
happen to catch the system at a point where it's moving things around,
it can result in some strange output from ps.  Usually not as strange
as what you're seeing, but it's possible.

Is the error a repeatable one?  If, say, you type ps once and see weird
process ownerships, what happens when you do a ps a few seconds afterward?
Is everything back to normal?  If so, I'd say it's just a temporary glitch
with ps catching the proc structs in mid-transition.

And if not... does the system ever correct itself?  Or do things stay
messed up until reboot time?

I must admit I've never seen ps behave that way before, but then again
I haven't used ULTRIX V4.0 heavily on VAXen either.

-Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros at crl.dec.com
Disclaimer: I am neither an "official" representative nor an ULTRIX developer.
Just another ULTRIX "customer" ;-)