TAR

Bruce Dumes bad at atrain.sw.stratus.com
Fri Nov 2 07:44:19 AEST 1990

In article <6187 at m2c.M2C.ORG> hautala at odin.m2c.org () writes:

>I am trying to extract a tar file, and it seems no matter what I do, I get
>this error "checksum error in directory file, possible name:" and then a
>bunch of garbage!!!
>
>what gives???  what is the correct command to extract all the files from a
>tar file in my directory????
>
>thanx in advance

I've seen this when someone was trying to tar a compressed file.  Later
they said something like, "Ohhhh, that's what that ".Z" meant!!"

By the way, tar xvf <filename> should work; you might need to specify
the blocking factor.

Bruce

--
Bruce Dumes			|  "You don't see many of *these* nowdays, |
bad at zen.cac.stratus.com		|   do you?"				   |