Hung Ultrix LAT sessions?

Ian! D. Allen [CGL] idallen at watcgl.waterloo.edu
Thu Nov 1 19:44:50 AEST 1990

>It's not disconnected until either the session is terminated at the
>server end (try disconnect) or terminated at the Ultrix end [...]

There were no sessions resumable or disconnectable on the DS200 server.
Only the Ultrix end was alive (had processes stuck on it), until I sent a
few HUP signals from another terminal and finally did another CONNECT
that got me the same stuck pty and let the stuck output flush; then the
Ultrix end cleared up.

I still haven't managed to get UUCP to come in through the DS200 at
19200bps via our Telebit Trailblazer Plus.  It hangs.  Use of the modem
by real people, not UUCP, works okay.  Modems running UUCP at 2400bps
work, except they waste a half hour after UUCICO finishes and before the
server times out the connection, because the DS200 has no way to say
"when you log out of this *session*, also log out of the *server*, drop the
line, and hang up the modem".  This half hour waste annoys our long-distance
UUCP friends and ties up our modems.  It's even worse if the session goes
away in the middle of a persistent UUCICO transmission -- the session
goes away, the server prompt comes back, and UUCICO shouts nonsense at
the server with the server echoing it back for hours on end.  That really
annoyed a long-distance UUCP friend; he doesn't call me any more.

Such a simple thing!  Log out the port and drop the line when the current
sesion ends, just like a normal serial line.  Can't be done.  Sigh.
-IAN! (Ian! D. Allen) idallen at watcgl.uwaterloo.ca idallen at watcgl.waterloo.edu
 [129.97.128.64]  Computer Graphics Lab/University of Waterloo/Ontario/Canada