Another C compiler bug

Brian Kelley brian at cimage.com
Fri Nov 2 02:34:33 AEST 1990

In article <11565 at sybase.sybase.com> mcfong at mercury.sybase.com () writes:
>I get the following results on the following MIPS-based systems:
>
>	RISC ULTRIX 3.0			7e-7 = 0.000000
>	SGI IRIX 3.2			7e-7 = 0.000000
>	MIPS OS 1.0			7e-7 = 0.000001
>
>Looks like yet another compiler bug which MIPS has fixed but DEC and
>SGI have not yet picked up.
>
>Would someone please run the same program on the latest version of RISC
>ULTRIX (4.0) and SGI IRIX (3.3) and see if DEC or SGI have fixed the
>problem in their later releases?

I just ran it under 4.0, and sure enough:

	RISC ULTRIX 4.0			7e-7 = 0.000000

I think the main problem is ULTRIX 4.0 is using version 2.00 of the MIPS
C compiler.  Version 2.10 probably fixes this bug (I know it fixes several
others).  We are in the process of trying to get 2.10 from DEC.  It isn't
clear which version 4.1 will ship with.

---
brian at cimage.com