Help shell script programming

Marcus J. Ranum mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com
Sat Nov 17 15:53:06 AEST 1990

In article <889 at gagme.chi.il.us> grahj at gagme.chi.il.us (jim graham) writes:

>Two books --- one has already been mentioned (the K&R book on the ``UNIX
>Programming Environment'').

	That's K&P, not K&R ! If you buy K&R all you'll read about is
C. Another good, but dated, book is S.R. Bourne's "the UNIX system"
which is less about shell programming than a kind of general look at a
lot of the (old) things in UNIX, such as nroff - the "ed" editor (which
some diehard gurus still use :), and some old-style C programming.

	I still like to refer people to K&P and Bourne because there's
a lot of the UNIX mentality in those books - the "small & simple" and
"modular without 16 pages of command-line options". It's an approach
the UNIX industry is clearly moving away from, to its detriment. The
K&P examples of programming are really interesting - the "hoc" project
is a little gem, that I feel covers all the essentials of how to design,
develop, and test a small C project under UNIX.

mjr.
--
"When choosing between two evils, give preference to the council of your
tummy over that of your testes. The history of mankind is full of disasters