5820 performance ( IO )

Greg Pavlov pavlov at canisius.UUCP
Fri Nov 2 18:18:44 AEST 1990

In article <15458 at cbmvax.commodore.com>, grr at cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:

> A cluster of DS5000's with with directly attached SCSI drives seems to
> offer a hell of a lot better price/performance than the DS5800, plus
> lower lower long term memory and disk expansion prices.

  This statement (extracted from a much longer posting) is right on the
  money - literally.  We are currently doing just what it says: migrating
  from a 5810 to a cluster of 4 5000's with SCSI drives,  for exactly the
  reasons given.

  Our primary application is a mid-to-large database in INGRES (apx. 1GB
  now and growing at a rate of apx. 10MB per week).  One 5000 has replaced
  the 5810 as a server.  When we can keep INGRES from crashing (which has been
  rare since version 6 arrived...), we see a rough 200-300% overall performance
  improvement over the 5810.

    greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny