GDB, Gnu debugger for Ultrix 4.0

Joe Bush bush at evax.arl.utexas.edu
Thu Nov 8 08:03:09 AEST 1990

	Speaking of GNU's gdb and other such tools, does anyone know
of a debugger that will run under Ultrix and allows the user to debug
across a fork boundry. By that I mean, automatically suspend both the
parent and child processes a the fork and allow the user to select,
say, a child process and trace its source code. Perhaps stepping back
and forth between the parent and child a will.
	We recently acquired a Sequent Symmetry with a parallel
debugger called pdbx that allows this function. It is real handy.
GNU's gdb has an "attach" function but it does seem to work under
Ultrix 3.1 on a uVAX 3900. Is this a limitation of the debugger, the
"ptrace" system call, or the underlying architecture?

--
	  bush at evax.arl.utexas.edu		  Vax Systems Manager
	  (817) 273 - 3333			  CSE Dept. UT-Arlington