SCSI Drives for a DECSystem 3100 -- suggestions?

Daniel S. Riley riley at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
Thu Nov 22 02:56:00 AEST 1990

In article <3017 at canisius.UUCP> pavlov at canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) writes:
>In article <1816loganj at yvax.byu.edu>, loganj at yvax.byu.edu writes:
>> We have two DS3100's booting from 600 MB HP (HP97548) drives and two other
>> DS3100's booting from 1.2 GB HP (HP97549) drives......
>> it's more difficult to install Ultrix on these drives since Dec's installation
>> process doesn't recognize the drives:

>  ...and they are (supposedly) impossible to use as boot disks under version 4
>     ULTRIX.  HP (factory/engineer/salestypes at HP's primary disk facilities
>     in Boise, Idaho) promise that a prom upgrade will be released soon that
>     will provide relief.

We have several DS3100's booting Ultrix 4.0 off of HP97548S drives
with no problems (the HPs are rev B940, and the DS3100s are pretty
old--before DEC stripped most of the useful help messages out of the
boot proms).

There is a problem with DS5000s--the original DS5000 boot proms
refuse to recognize the HP drives (the system hangs if you do a "cnfg 5"
or try to boot from one of the HP drives), so you can't boot *any*
version of Ultrix off an HP connected to a DS5000 with the original
boot proms.

We just received our first DS5000s with the new proms.  These at least
acknowledge that the HPs exist.  I haven't (yet) tried building a bootable
system on one of the HPs, but it looks like it should work.

We don't (yet) have any HP97549s to play with, but you'd think they'd
behave much the same as the 97548s.

-Dan Riley (riley at theory.tn.cornell.edu, cornell!batcomputer!riley)
-Wilson Lab, Cornell University