dumping to TK-70

R. J. Auletta rauletta at gmuvax2.gmu.edu
Sun Nov 25 02:19:36 AEST 1990

In article <517 at mesrx.UUCP> bbraden at mesrx.UUCP (Bill Braden) writes:
>I am doing a level 0 dump of my file systems to TK-70.  The file system
>in question is under 200mb.  A TK-70 is supposed to hold 295mb.  Why
>does dump require 3 tapes?

Use the s option with 4800 as the argument..like

dump 0usf 4800 /dev/nrmt0h  filesystem1
dump 0usf 4800 /dev/nrmt0h  filesystem2
dump 0usf 4800 /dev/nrmt0h  filesystem3

to dump several partitions to a single tape.
(If you wish to dump one filesystem then use *dump 0us 4800*,
but using 290Meg to hold hold a small partition seems wasteful.)

This works quite well for incremental dumps as the whole
file system can most likely be dumped without *changing* tapes.

Beware though, accessing the last dump file on a multi-dump
tape can *take a while*. (Using either *mf fsf #* or *restore s #*.

Interestingly under Ultrix 2.0 dump would use EOT to sense the
end of the tape and still dump correctly even without the
s option. Not so under 3.0 and 3.1.

-R J Auletta
 rauletta at sitevax.gmu.edu