getting bind to work in Ultrix 4.0

Brian Ellis ellis at rata.vuw.ac.nz
Tue Nov 6 21:11:45 AEST 1990

I have just upgraded a DECSystem 5400 from Ultrix 3.1D to Ultrix 4.0.
We were running bind 4.8.3 under Ultrix 3.1D. Using these configuration
files with the named supplied with Ultrix 4.0 does not seem to work. The
daemon dies and vanishes, leaving these messages in /var/spool/mqueue/syslog:

Nov  6 21:18:40 localhost: 1218 named: restarted
Nov  6 21:18:41 localhost: 1218 named: address of primary server not in
local db:

Running named with -d 9 (debugging level of 9) didn't produce any more
information.

There appears to be a little confusion over where the default name server
configuration boot file is to be found. named(8) claims that this is
/etc/named.boot, the printed manual pages indicate that it is
/var/dss/namedb/named.boot. I put a sym-link in from one to the other just in
case Murphy was looking over my shoulder.

Is anyone out there successfully using the named supplied with Ultrix 4.0???

Brian Ellis                               Computing Services Centre
Domain: ellis at rata.vuw.ac.nz              Victoria University of Wellington
Bang paths... grrrr!!!!!		  P.O Box 600, New Zealand.
What! - no cute .sig ???