Actually it's printf.. (was Re: Another C compiler bug)

From the screen of Deneva... heller at cs.umass.edu
Mon Nov 12 10:57:34 AEST 1990

In article <5017 at amara.UUCP>, jcm at amara.UUCP (John Martin) writes...
>In article <1990Nov1.153433.4006 at cimage.com> brian at dgsi.UUCP (Brian Kelley) writes:
>>In article <11565 at sybase.sybase.com> mcfong at mercury.sybase.com () writes:
>>>[...]
>>>Looks like yet another compiler bug which MIPS has fixed but DEC and
>>>SGI have not yet picked up.
>>>[...]
>>I think the main problem is ULTRIX 4.0 is using version 2.00 of the MIPS
>>C compiler.
>
>No, actually I suspect that the real culprit is "printf" not rounding
>properly (though I confess I haven't checked the binary form for the
>7e-7 floating-point value to completely absolve the compiler).

Or you count try forcing printf to use more precision, using something like
%10.8f and seeing if 7e-7 still prints as 0.0000000.

		Robert Heller
ARPANet:	Heller at CS.UMass.EDU
BITNET:		Heller at UMass.BITNET
BIX:		locks.hill.bbs
GEnie:		RHeller
FidoNet:	1:321/153 (Locks Hill BBS, Wendell, MA)
CompuServe	71450,3432
Local PV VAXen:	COINS::HELLER
UCC Cyber/DG:	Heller at CS