problems with 8mm DAT

Michael Collier collier at triton.unm.edu
Fri Nov 9 10:25:44 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov8.131229.21054 at cs.utk.edu> Dave Sill <de5 at ornl.gov> writes:
>In article <1990Nov7.200419.25168 at ariel.unm.edu>, collier at triton.unm.edu (Michael Collier) writes:
>>we have a Mountain Computer Inc. "FileSafe 2100-D" 2048 Mb 8mm DAT
>>drive, as distributed by DEC.
>
>DAT is 4mm.  8mm is Exabyte.

so how does "Exabyte" technology differ from "DAT" technology? may i
assume that our drive is not a "digital/analog tape" (DAT), but something
else entirely?

>>it is daisy-chained off of a Decstation
>>3100 as a SCSI device. the problem is that it goes off line at
>>the drop of a hat, and requires a power cycle in order to recover.
>>has anyone had enough experience with this make/model to tell me
>>whether this is "normal"? any workarounds? please e-mail. thanks
>>in advance
>
>I haven't seen that yet with ours, but we haven't had it very long.
>
>--
>Dave Sill (de5 at ornl.gov)
>Martin Marietta Energy Systems
>Workstation Support

a followup: problem solved. i had several responses indicating this device
works fine on Decstation 5000 class machines. no one seems to use it on 3100s.
just as well: they don't work on 3100s. we switched ours to a 5000, and
everything is ok now. thanks for all the help.
Michael H. Collier				INET:    collier at ariel.unm.edu
						BITNET:  COLLIER at UNMB
home: 1160 Don Pasqual NW; Los Lunas, NM 87031; (505) 865 8770
work: UNM CIRT; 2701 Campus Bvd; Albuquerque, NM 87131; (505) 277 8039