Update on Sendmail problems

John Haxby jch at dyfed.rdg.dec.com
Sat Nov 3 01:54:06 AEST 1990

The ULTRIX V4.0 sendmail includes a fix for a rather interesting
security hole that, among other things, involves changing the
definition of the local mailer.  This is important.  If you don't
make the change, then all mail appears to come from daemon, which
is what you are seeing.  I don't believe that the sun version of
sendmail that you are running includes the fix so it isn't
surprising that the config file works for the sun machine but
not for the dec machine.

The fix was posted a while back; you can also find it if you
look in the sendmail config file that comes with ULTRIX out of
the box.

For what it's worth; the fix got out to you lot in record time:
the total elapsed time between getting the notification of the bug
through news and shipping the fix to customers was something like
three weeks -- more luck than judgement, it should be said, but for
once we got (ever so slightly) ahead of the game.
John Haxby, Definitively Wrong.
Digital				<jch at wessex.rdg.dec.com>
Reading, England		<...!ukc!wessex!jch>