Hardware lines available on DECstation 3100 ?

Bunpei Matoba bm at sumikin.co.jp
Fri Nov 16 16:11:40 AEST 1990

Thank you very much for a benchmarking report for inter-process communication
performance on a DECstation 3100 by Jim Gettys.

> In any case, measured using X11perf (i.e. user level code talking to
> a real X server), a ROUND TRIP (message from x11perf, processing of
> it in the X server, and a response) is 2 milliseconds
> on machine using Unix domain IPC, 3 milliseconds using TCP, with Ultrix 4.0
> on a DECstation 3100, and across the network with TCP, it is 3.6
> milliseconds for the ROUND TRIP.  This includes the process scheduling,
> and everything, for a complete round trip.

I just know that X11perf is a bench marking codes for X-windows and it
 outputs messages including a line like this;

     Sync time adjustment is xx.xxxx msecs.

I guess that the ROUND TRIP time Jim said is equivalent to
the " Sync time adjustment".

My understanding of Jim's report is;

-----------DECstation 3100 -----( standalone )-------------------------
| --------------------      Unix domain IPC(socket) ---------------   |
| |                  |           2.0 msec         | |             |   |
| |                  |   <------------------------- |             |   |
| --------------------                              ---------------   |

--- DECstation 3100 -----                         ----DECstation 3100--
| --------------------  |  TCP/IP  Ethernet       | ---------------   |
| |                  |  |        3.6 msec       | | |             |   |
| |                  |  |<----------------------- | |             |   |
| --------------------  |                         | ---------------   |

Is it correct?   Please let me know, if my understanding is wrong.

                                     bm at sumikin.co.jp
                                     Bunpei Matoba
                                     Sumitomo Metal Industries
                                        Control and Engineering Corporation